The History

Dining with a long tradition.

Entrance of the Landhaus „Zu den Rothen Forellen“As early as several hundred years ago the Landhaus "Zu den Rothen Forellen" in Ilsenburg was a popular inn and rest place for travellers in the Harz who wanted to climb Mount Brocken.

The list of famous names that have stayed here obliges us to continue this tradition of hospitality. The writer Heinrich Heine stayed in our hotel as well as the writer Friedrich Schiller with his wife. The Scandinavian fairy tale writer Hans Christian Andersen stopped by during his extensive travels around Ilsenburg as well as Tsar Peter and the German Emperor Wilhelm.

Today we welcome in our hotel celebrities in politics, business and art, who follow the good reputation of the Landhaus “Zu den Rothen Forellen” with its excellent hospitality, which has spread far beyond the borders of the Harz.


Over 400 years of history …

To summerise our history is hardly possible without sacrificing details of interesting anecdotes and stories. Could the walls of the Landhaus tell stories, we would have enough to write more than one novel.

For us, the long history means a gastronomic tradition; where we are committed to feel history and to look ahead, without losing sight of the past. You, our guests, will continue to write the history of the house and we are happy to be your host.

16th / 17th Century

From “Campe'schen Farm” to “Stoeltenkrug”

16th Century - Campe'scher Farm

The origin of the Landhaus “Zu den Rothen Forellen “ dates back to the 16th Century. With the rise of the steel industry the “Campe'sche Farm” , a so called Junkerhof, was built in 1574.

Hilmar von Campe, a member of a Saxon Uradel, was at the end of the 16th Century employed as manager of the rented monastery Ilsenburg as well as their goods. It was recorded until 1611 that the farm was in the hands of the Campe family, after that it changed ownership and it was likely to be upper class owners.

17th Century - The “Stoeltenkrug”

The name “Stelten” , “Steltzen “or even “Stoeltenkrug” , whose history is also closely linked to the “Rothen Forellen”, was created in 1572 , when the count's iron and steel works were in full bloom and business people and visitors came to Ilsenburg. The inn accommodated iron and steel work officials who did not want to rest for the night in the common inn. The Stoeltenkrug was the base and founder of the gastronomic tradition of the later Landhaus “Zu den Rothen Forellen”.

It is believed that the Stoeltenkrug was in private ownership before it was taken over by the count. Under the count's ownership it was rented out on lease, in the beginning short term leasehold estate, later long term, where family members would inherited the lease. As of 1634 a full tenant list exists. In 1770, the lease hold changes from the short term to long term, to stop the frequent change of tenancy.

As the iron and steel work officials were obliged to consume their beer and food only at the Stoeltenkrug, business flourished. The profits where much greater than the lease itself, so for sure the number of lease applicants were with 6-8 candidates always very high, and the Stoeltenkrug was known as a “gold mine” .

The Stoeltenkrug experienced not only a “golden age”. In 1747 guests complained about “falsified beer”. The new name " Schwarzen Hirsch” (Black Stag) did not change the fact, that the inn lost reputation within the village.

18th / 19th Century

From “Schwarzen Hirsch” to "Rothen Forellen"

18th Century – “Schwarzen Hirsch”

Only again in the 18th Century a noble owner took over the inn. It was the general of Meinecke, whose tomb is still to be found on the north wall of St. Mary's Church.

After the renaming of the inn to " Schwarzen Hirsch” under the tenant Freytag, who ran it on a heritage lease, the count's administration office considered giving up the inn. The growing tourism market brought the need for a larger, more significantly guest house. The widow of Meinecke sold the Junkerhof in 1803 to the Counts of Stolberg- Wernigerode. By now the land of the late general was a property, which seemed perfect in size and location for the possibility to expand business by building extensions and the use of the garden. Therefore the count approached the tenant Freytag and negotiated for the repurchase of the leasehold rights, which took place on 30.08.1803.

19th Century – Guesthouse "Rothe Forelle"

After some renovation work on the Meineck'schen property , a new restaurant opened here on 1.9.1803, which at the same time took on the publican’s license. The establishment was taken over by the counts office, which estimated the costs of about 1000 Reichstalern. Initially mainly employees of the steel mills made use of the guest house.

On 31.03.1804 the inn was finally named Gasthof “Rothen Forellen”. The name refers to the count's coat of arms, which shows the red trout on a white background.

Until 1856 the estate was run administratively, and the guest house flourished with permanent guests still being the iron and steel work official as well as in addition business merchants, who were active in the iron and steel industry and of course the rising numbers of tourists coming to the Harz.

The guest house had many amenities, including a gondola on the top lake, today being the trout lake, a bowling alley as well as donkeys and mules for guests to climb up Mount Brocken. In 1845 the increasing tourism brought the need of a new extension, which included a hall, four additional lodging rooms and a sleeping room in the annex building (cost: 3,000 Silver coins).

20th Century

Traditional restaurant in a turbulent century

After many changes of the owners, the guest house was sold to Fritz Lichtenberg, who had leased the guest house prior for eight years. The new owner extended the guest house and built a new building as well as the Badehaus. Another extension was built in 1920. Despite the difficult economic times in the 1920-ies, the guest house stayed in the hands of the Lichtenberg family.

In the 1940-ies the hotel was used as a mass accommodation for members of foreign forced laborers. The hotel suffered in great deal and was completely run down.

In 1942, the last owner Dr. Otto Lichtenberg sold the whole property to the community Ilsenburg. The interest to put the hotel back into operation was great and with considerable expense some structural changes were made to create a "first-class" hotel.

After the end of World War II, the hotel was confiscated first by the Americans, then by the English and from July 1945 by the Russian army as a local headquarter. The owner and Nazi activist Sedlacek (purchase 1944) was arrested and died in prison. In July 1946, the Russian army handed the hotel " Zu den Rothen Forellen " back to the city of Ilsenburg .

In 1948 the hotel was finally registered in the legal ownership of the community Ilseburg, who were by then looking for a new lease holder. Mr. A. Hoepner made sure that the “Rothe Forellen” could operate once again as a guest house.

Even during the time of the GDR the “Rothe Forellen” operated as a hotel. The structural condition deteriorated and renovations work was only carried out to a bare minimum. The hotel operation came to a close down again in October 1993.


Our charm is passion.
Everything is exceptionally …

In the course of the renovation work the historical buildings were restored , the dance hall extended with a winter garden and a restaurant was created. The timber-frame was restored and re-lined, all electrical wiring and water pipes were newly installed. The newly built additional rooms, a modern seminar area and last but not least a wellness and sauna area emerged.

In July 1995, after only 14 months of construction work, the carefully renovated modern Landhaus " Zu den Rothen Forellen" opened, which was quickly known far beyond the borders of the region. Soon the Landhaus “Zu den Rothen Forellen” was awarded with the 5 star classification - the first hotel in Saxony- Anhalt to become this status in 1996.

Since April 2010, the Landhaus " Zu den Rothen Forellen " is part of the small, fine group of the Private Hotels Dr Lohbeck:

The ordinary gives the world its existence,
the extraordinary gives it its value.“ (Oscar Wilde)

In the Private Hotel Group Dr Lohbeck this philosophy is practiced by every employee. Everyone is aware that they may be working in an exceptional hotel serving their guests. Every day, employee’s task is:
I would like to ensure this guest becomes a regular one.

Personality and personal closeness are so important for us, so all hotels are family- owned and family-run.

Dr. Lohbeck is behind all owner families with his name. The Private Hotel Group Dr. Lohbeck only selects “hand-picked” hotels of four and five star category. Refined hotel comfort welcomes the guest with genuine and qualified service making your stay unforgettable.
Simply enjoy us.